Tuesday 22 July 2014

As we are busy preparing for Friday's sharing...

we receive this email from John-Paul...


Dear All,


I would have liked to write a fully-referenced text as my contribution to the blog, so you could see the genealogy of my reflections about the workshop; something polished, complete. But my experience of the workshop is neither complete nor polished. It stays with me, moving me, making me think and write.

There is always an expectation when you walk into a space and someone else is there. You have your own hopes for the situation and the other has their’s and the only way you have of identifying with them is usually projection of your own desires.

I’m used to walking into the space and being, quite literally, phallic. I show off, make jokes, flirt, use a lot of sarcasm, shock tactics and I make sure I develop a transference with each and every person in the room. And they usually want me to centre the space so they can journey within it safe. Safe within their own worlds, only because those are held in space by someone else.

This time, the space was different this time. Everyone held their own space and the space of the others and for once, I myself felt held.

It’s so difficult to find words for the workshop and even more difficult to find a stable metaphor or fiction or narrative or ethics for the experience. Instead an image came to mind which is the nearest way I have at the moment for describing it:


In fairytales and myths there is often a sacred or magical object, artefact, weapon or adornment – sometimes it is a curse or bind, other times it is a gift that will take the heroine to the next, most dangerous stage of her journey. It is a delicately spun thing, cob-web thin, nearly invisible but it is as strong as the strongest metal. It can capture a dragon and make a thief tell the truth, it will help win the battle or bring a wrong-doer to justice.It’s a magical object, we don’t know how it works. We only know that, in order for it to work, we have to believe it will actually capture the dragon and it is this belief that makes it work.


There was a cobweb fine connectivity in the workshop, a network managing itself, self-organising and evolving. I felt part of that network and felt I was given the space to be an equal member of that momentary organization rather than a superior one, or one that knew more. 

This is perhaps a very clear example of the ethics from which our own work arises, and which can be polished away in the final product or over-ornamented in a distrustful effort to distract the other from you and your world in the performance in order to fit in with the already-existing market. This, for me, is where a politics can arise from an ethics, rather than an idealised system or fantasy. There is politics in our practice because there is always already an ethics there, waiting to be brought to light – unconcealed. Ethics as a meta-politics. If none of us ever manage to fully bring that to the performance space, where we enter the system of exchange-value, then perhaps, in staying faithful to the event that brought us to this place of performance, we can still share our (non-exchangeable) value in other ways, through other fields, without the medium of exchange, but through the medium of the gift.

This is certainly what the workshop experience was for me – a pure gift –showing me how you gave to each other and gave to the space as much as you gave to yourselves. As a result of this it seemed that for the first time in a long time, I was being given an appropriate space to test my own notions of what it means to be an artist as citizen. 

Special. Rare. Thank-you.


John-Paul.
Stockholm 22.07.2014